Reaching the area either on land or on the Danube , it is impossible not to be surprised by the scenery offered by this town , located on the waterfront reflecting beautiful surrounding hills .
Reaching the area either on land or on the Danube , it is impossible not to be surprised by the scenery offered by this town , located on the waterfront reflecting beautiful surrounding hills . This is the new town of Orşova. Why new? Because of the grand project completion , construction hydroelectric and navigation system Iron Gates , the old hearth of the town was flooded in 1970 , and the population was moved to a completely new town built between 1966-1971.
Orşova "from under the water" has a long and unique history , being ocuppied and wanted by many people . Originally part of the Roman province of Dacia , the fort built by the Romans , Dierna , became an important and prosperous customs point, being temporarily invaded by the Huns , Bulgarians , Tatars , Turks, Austrians. Eventually, in 1916, the settlement was liberated by the Romanian army . In 1923 it was declared a city. During the administrative reform of 1968 Orsova became a part of Mehedinti county .
Today , new Orşova , is a quiet town in a superb setting, the entrance to the most beautiful section of the Danube , after the old river crossed six countries. Orşova is expects you to visit the beautiful monastery St. Anna on the hill, the hydroelectric plant Iron Gates (the largest on the Danube ) . All new Orşova is sorounded by the beautiful world of Iron Gates Natural Park , with fascinating history , legends , monuments and unique landscapes.
The old city Orsova, from under water, built on the old Roman fort Dierna , fort built by king Constantine the Great in 324 was described in a turkish document dating from 1660 as a big fortress, strong and beautiful , surrounded by strong walls, about 3 meters thick. .
Iron Gates Natural Park is characterized by a great biodiversity, this protected area has been recognized both nationally and internationally.
In this area there is one of the richest and most valuable collections of plants in the country, the number of species determined so far is almost half of all known species from Romania. This floral paradise is home to endemic species , rare , fragrant and colorful . Among those with special conservation value are: Boiler Tulip ( Tulipa hungarica ) , Banat Tulip ( Tulipa hungarica ssp.undulatifolia ) Trifoiaşul ( Marsilea quadrifolia ) boilers bells ( Campanula crassipes ), feather grass ( Stipa danubialis ) , Banat peony ( Paeonia officinalis ssp. banatica ) white Ivy (Daphne laureola )
Characteristic flora of Iron Gates Natural Park , is the descent altitude of elements southern mountain and climbing elements . Thus, thermal inversion makes beech - Fagus sylvatica - know the lowest temperature in the region of Mraconiei valley.
The Iron Gates Natural Park flora is represented by all five clades Vegetable . In any season, we get a good show , especially in spring or fall, when this diversity turns everything into a wonderfully colorful picture . Elements of Mediterranean origin , bats inhabit the caves of the park area , such as Veterans Cave , Cave Ponicova, nameless caves etc. All species of bats in the park area are strictly protected.
Iron Gates I HPP is the largest hydropower plant on river Danube and has an installed capacity of 1080 MW. Downstream there is also the hydropower plant Iron Gates II with installed capacity of 250 MW .
Both hydropower plants are operated in partnership with their Serbian counterarts. Romanian and Serbian plants Iron Gates I cumulate 2160 MW , while the Iron Gates II cumulates 500 MW; The maximum capacity of the turbines is 8,700 m³ / s .
Central Iron Gates I is located 15 km upstream from the town Drobeta Turnu -Severin and the plant Iron Gates II 60 km downstream.
The regional Museum "Iron Gates" from Drobeta Turnu-Severin works in the current building near the old Roman fort since 1926 (then called the Museum of History and Ethnography of Turnu Severin) In 1921 after Prof. Alexander Barcacila founded the "History Museum of Traian Highschool'. In 1972 the museum opened in its current form having two sections: History - Archaeology and Natural Sciences, later adding the sections of Ethnography and Folk Art, and Art . Nowadays the museum hosts in the basement an aquarium with fish originated from Danube. In the museum's courtyard one can see the remains of the old Roman camp Drobeta, and remains of the legendary Traian's Bridge and the Tower of Sever. The Roman camp Drobeta represents the first stone fortress built in Dacia during 103-103 A. D. It was initially built to house 500 soldiers defending the bridge of Traian. The fort's restored foundations by emperor Constantine can still be seen today including an area of 2 ha. In the west side of the fort, on the Danube you can see the ruins of roman baths . Museum Address: Str. Independence no.2, Drobeta Turnu-Severin Tel: 052/312 177, Fax: 052/320 027 Schedule: Daily 9-16; Monday closed
Ada Kaleh (from Turkish Ada Kale, meaning Island Fortress) was an island on the Danube which, in 1970 was covered by the lake waters of hydropower plant Iron Gates I. The island was situated at about 3 km downstream of Orsova and had an area of about 1,7km long and about 500m wide. It was populated by about 600 turkish people.
Ada Kaleh was, for the people of the region, a popular tourist spot because of the lower prices ( being tax exempt ) for the purchase of turkish sweets , jewelery and tobacco . The island was famous for roses grown by the locals and the scent of rose oil sourcing .
The island has been inhabited since ancient times . Herodot remembered Cyraunis , who writes that the length of the island is 200 stages , narrow , full of olive trees and vine . The first document is a report of the Teutonic Knights of February 22, 1430 , about the fortifications of Banat , which speaks about a number of turkish people inhabiting the island, about 216 people. From 1430 it became known as Ada Kaleh.
Because of the strategic position of the island, in conflict with the Ottoman Empire Habsburg Ada Kaleh had a special significance. In 1689 the Austrian army built a fortress against the Ottoman Empire.
In the following decades , Ada Kaleh occupation has changed several times between Austria and the Ottoman Empire . In the Peace Treaty of Belgrade in 1739 , the island has always remained a Turkish island, with short temporary interruptions in favor of Austrians between 1789 and 1791.
Forgotten at the Peace Congress of Berlin (1878 ) , Ada- Kaleh island remained tenure Turkish occupied, then it became Romanian territory . Most of the island's population was of Turkish origin.
Before the accumulation lake at the Iron Gates had formed , the main historical sites on the island were destroyed . The attempt to rebuild the historical sites of Ada Kaleh downstream on Şimian island was unsuccessful , most people preferring to move to other regions of the country (eg . Dobrogea ) or to emigrate to Turkey . The idea of rebuilding Ada Kaleh was never abandoned.
0252361908 / 0252360623
Str. Portile de Fier nr.34
0252361530 / 0252361530
Str. Portile de Fier nr.20
0252363622 / 0252363622
Str. Portile de Fier nr.18
0252311212 / 0252311213
Str. Portului nr. 2, Turnu Severin
Investim în viitorul tău! Proiect selectat în cadrul Programului Operaţional Regional şi cofinanţat de Uniunea Europeană prin Fondul European pentru Dezvoltare Regională.
Pentru informaţii detaliate despre celelalte programe cofinanţate de Uniunea Europeană, vă invităm să vizitaţi www.fonduri-ue.ro.
Conţinutul acestui material nu reprezintă în mod obligatoriu poziţia oficiala a Uniunii Europene sau a Guvernului României.